Roasted Chicken with Grits or Polenta
- 2 Tbsp Smoked Paprika or regular
- 2 Tbsp Ground cumin
- 2 Tbsp Kosher salt
- 2 Tbsp Garlic powder
- 2 Tbsp Ground black pepper
- 2 Tbsp Ground white pepper
- 2 Tbsp Onion powder
- 2 Tbsp Dried oregano
- 2 Tsp Cayenne
- 2 Tsp Thyme
- 1 Whole Chicken (2lb approx.)
- 8oz Unsalted butter (soft or room temperature)
- 1 lemon cut in half
- 1 Tbsp sugar
- ½ Tbs kosher salt
- 1 plastic bag
Grits or Polenta
- 12 oz Grits or Polenta
- 9 oz Milk
- 9 oz Heavy Cream
- 4 oz Butter unsalted
- 1 Bt. Dark beer
- Butter as needed
- All-purpose flour as needed
- Mix all the spices for the Cajun marination. Rub the chicken with it, reserved at least for 1 hour minimum or you can set aside in the refrigerator overnight.
- For the lemon confit add in a hard plastic bag the sugar, salt and lemon. Simmer for 1 hour until the skin is soft and be able to scrap the inside. Chopped the skin and reserved
- In a small pot mix the butter, heavy cream and milk, bring it to boil and add the polenta, season with salt and pepper add the chopped lemon confit. Set aside. For this dish it would be a nice soft, creamy Grits or polenta.
- Set the chicken in a roasting pan (deep one) cover the chicken with the butter, preheat the oven 350° F cook for 1 hour or until the internal temperature of 165° or 170° F if flame of the oven it is to high low the temperature to 280°F use the dripping juices to maintained juicy the chicken on top of it. When the chicken is cooked, take it out of the oven and set for 5 to 10 minutes.
- With the same roasting pan deglaze with the beer, strain into a sauce pan, add like a table spoon of flour season with salt and pepper. The desired consistency it’s a like a sauce.
- Cut the chicken into quarters for serving.
- Served the grits or polenta in the bottom of the plate, put on top the portions of the chicken and pour the sauce.