Duck’s Torta Ahogada
Serving 4 portions
- ½ Duck confit
- As needed high oleic soybean oil
- 2 stems of thyme
- 2 bay leaves
- 5 black peppercorns
- 1 whole garlic cut in half
- ½ white onion cut in half o whole half
- 1 orange cut in half
- Coarse salt as needed
- 4 Sourdough bread individual portions sandwich size
- 1 White onion sliced
- 8 Tb. White wine vinegar
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- Salt as needed
- 2 Lb Tomatoes
- Optional if you want a spicy sauce
- Add 3 dried chiles arbol
- 1 lime in wedges
- Add all the ingredients in a deep pot and simmer for 3 hours until the meat comes out of the bone. Shred the meat and set aside in a warm place. The remaining oil can be used on another occasion.
- High oleic soybean oil
- Bay leaf
- Black pepper corn and coarse salt
- Cut into juliennes the onion, set it in a crystal bowl add vinegar, oregano and salt as needed. Cover with a plastic wrap and rest in the refrigerator until they are pickled.
- In a medium pot add the tomatoes, water to cover them. Bring it to boil and cooked until it its soft. Wait until the water it’s warm and blended until having a smooth sauce. If you want a spicy sauce add the chiles.
- In the same medium pot put it back in the stove, drain the remaining left overs of water and drizzle a little bit of soybean oil, warm it up, pass through a strainer the sauce of the blender into the hot pot, season with salt. Boil for 15 minutes.
Warm up the bread in a toaster or oven max 5 mins. Then sliced them in half, add the shredded duck meat. Serve them on each plate, add on top the hot tomato sauce so you can soak it and then put the pickled onion on top. And garnish with the lemon wedges.